Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose
Tiryaka Bhujangasana or twisting Cobra Pose is good for correcting postural defects of the upper spine. In Sanskrit, Tiryak means oblique, slant or transverse and in this case is translated as Twisting. Bhujanga means Cobra or a serpent and Asana means a pose. Tiryaka Bhujangasana is good for the flexibility of the spine and strengthens the arms and shoulders.
How to do Tiryaka Bhujangasana (Twisting Cobra Pose)?
- Lie flat on your belly on the floor. Keep the legs together or you may keep them slightly apart.
- Bring the palms to the shoulder level and place them on the floor about 2 feet apart.
- Put pressure on the palms, inhale slowly and raise yourself up. The hands should become straight and the chest and head is raised above the ground.
- While raising yourself up turn your head over the right shoulders and look at you left foot (heel).
- The spine should be kept relaxed all the while.
- Hold the position for few seconds. Your navel should be close to the ground. The trunk is raised and the hands are straight.
- To release the position, turn the head back to the forward looking position. Bend the elbows slightly to relax.
- Now, straighten your hands again and look over your left shoulder towards your right foot (heel). Stay for few seconds in this position.
- Turn the head back to the normal forward looking position and bend the elbows to relax.
- This is one round of Tiryaka Bhujangasana.
- Repeat as many rounds as you are comfortable.
Benefits of Tiryaka Bhujangasana (Twisting Cobra Pose)
- Tiryaka Bhujangasana makes the spine flexible and strong.
- It can correct many postural defects of the upper spine and is good for cervical spondylitis.
- Tiryaka Bhujangasana expands the thorax and improves lung capacity.
- It tones the muscles of the abdomen and improves digestion.
- It is good for liver, kidneys, stomach and pancreas.
- Tiryaka Bhujangasana strengthens the arms and shoulders.
- Muscles of the upper back are made flexible and strong.
Contraindications for Tiryaka Bhujangasana (Twisting Cobra Pose)
- Those suffering from any spinal injury should not do Tiryaka Bhujangasana.
- Also avoid it if you have any injury of wrist, arms and shoulders.
- Those suffering from peptic ulcers should be careful in doing this pose.
- Avoid this pose, if you are suffering from hernia.
- Pregnant women should not do Tiryaka Bhujangasana as the weight of the body will put pressure on the fetus.