One Day Juice Fast and its Benefits
A One day Juice fast can detoxify our body and improve general health and vigor. A Juice fast gives ample calories, yet reduces the load on our digestive system. By giving partial rest to the digestive system, our organs get an opportunity to repair and cleanse itself.
Toxins are formed in our body due to improper food habits, poor digestion, overeating, eating processed and fatty foods, eating at odd times, etc. Intermittent juice fasts or doing a juice fast/cleanse once every week can improve digestion, increase mental clarity, give extra vigor and energy, remove toxins and give a general feeling of well-being.
How to prepare for a One-day (24-Hour) Juice Fast?
Mental preparation is the first step for attempting a fast. Those who are already familiar with water or juice fasting don’t need any advice. But, for beginners it is good to have a proper understanding of the process. A normal adult human body can survive without food for many weeks. So, a one-day juice fast should be easy, unless you are suffering from any serious medical condition. If that’s the case, one should consult a doctor or a qualified naturopath before taking up any fast.
It is good to read testimonials of other people regarding juice fasts to give one the confidence, if you are doing it for the first time. There are plenty of books, articles and videos on internet explaining the benefits of a juice fast.
Beginners should choose a day that is relatively stress-free to start a juice fast. Also, on the previous day (especially night) have light and moderate food. On the day of the fast avoid heavy work, excessive travel, lifting heavy weights, running long distances, excessive talking, etc. Light activities like reading, walking, casual bike ride, computer work, meditation, driving, watching television, doing yoga, shopping, watering your garden, etc. are perfectly fine.
How to do a One-day (24-Hour) Juice Fast/Cleanse?
On a one day Juice fast, you should consume only juices and water. Juices can be made from either fresh fruits or vegetables or both. The juice fast should be started in the morning and should end the next day morning. No solid food, milk products, tea, coffee or other liquid products should be taken during the 24 hour period.
How to Prepare the Juice?
First, you need a good juicer for making the juice. Cold press juicers are ideal. Centrifugal juicers can also be used with lesser benefits. The fast spinning blades of a centrifugal juicer generate heat and can oxidize and destroy some of the vitamins and enzymes in the juice. A simple hand press juicer is best.
Use organically grown fruits and vegetables if available.
Wash your fruits or vegetables well before juicing. Most fruits that are available in the market today are treated with pesticides and preservatives. Wash your fruits and vegetables in 2% saline solution to effectively remove the contact pesticides sticking to the skin.
Fruit juices can be made from orange, grape, tangerine, pomegranate, watermelon, lemon, passion fruit, apple, guava, strawberries, blueberries, etc. Coconut water may also be consumed in between.
Vegetable juices can be prepared from carrot, beetroot, cucumber, spinach, tomato, celery, parsley, kale, turnip, etc.
Instead of consuming plain fruit juice, some prefer a cocktail mix of fruit and vegetable juices, including lemon and sprinkling of natural herbs, depending on taste and purpose. You can come up with your own favorite cocktail during the juice fast.
Consuming your Juice during the Fast
Consume only freshly prepared juices. Drink your juice within half an hour of preparing it. Most juices get oxidized with time and lose the nutritional benefits.
Drink about 4 full glasses of juice at regular intervals during the day. That would be roughly 1 liter of juice during the day. There is no harm in consuming more amount of juice if you feel like. Also, one should drink plenty of water in between depending on your need. Some people also prefer to dilute their juices in water before consuming. That is your choice.
Whenever you feel hungry during the day, just prepare another glass of freshly made juice and consume it. As simple as that!
Body reactions during a One-day Juice Fast
You may or may not notice few reactions during the juice fast. It may include headaches, sudden drop in blood pressure, dizziness, little weakness, nausea, etc. which is considered normal during a fast. Those who are experienced may not even get these symptoms. If you get a sudden bout of hunger, just prepare another glass of juice and drink it. You may also lie down and rest if there is weakness or dizziness. Most symptoms, if any, will be mild and there is nothing to fear.
How to break a One-day (24-Hour) Juice Fast?
Knowing how to break a juice fast is as important as the fast itself. During the fasting period, there is less digestive activity. Do not overload the stomach after breaking the juice fast. You can break the fast with lime juice or orange juice. You may add a spoon of honey if desired.
After that, your first meal should be light, easily digestible and not spicy. Fruits and boiled vegetables and vegetable soups can be consumed.
The second meal of the day can be normal, but keep the quantity of grains low and substitute with boiled vegetables and fruits. Diluted milk and buttermilk can also be consumed. Avoid meat products for a day or two as meat is harder to digest.
Develop mindfulness in what you eat to overcome any compulsive eating patterns and to maintain healthy intake of food. Healthy eating habits will ensure a healthy and strong body.
Benefits of a One-day (24-Hour) Juice Fast
- A one-day juice fast/cleanse gives excellent health benefits. Our digestive system gets a much needed rest, giving it time to repair and heal itself.
- Juices have great nutritional value. They contain plenty of vitamins, enzymes, antioxidants and minerals which are not available in cooked food.
- A juice fast can give extra energy and vigor.
- It helps to detoxify our system. The body throws out the toxins through the intestines during a fast. This principle is used in ancient system of Ayurveda and Naturopathy to cleanse the body and prevent future diseases. An enema is recommended on the day that you break the one-day juice fast to remove the toxins clean the intestines.
- Intermittent fasting or doing a Juice fast once a week can help to maintain your weight and lose excess fat. Four full glasses of juice a day can give you roughly between 300 – 600 Calories which is less than the daily adult requirement of roughly 1600 – 2500 Calories; thereby helping in weight loss.
- A juice fast can improve immunity and rejuvenates the body.
- It gives an overall sense of confidence and well-being.
Who should not do a Juice Fast?
- Those who suffer from diabetes should avoid fruit juices and instead use green vegetables only during the fast.
- Pregnant women are not advised to fast as the growing fetus needs extra calories and nutrients for its growth.
- Those who are on any specific medication should consult their doctor before taking up a juice fast.
- Those who have underwent a recent surgery, should wait till they have recovered before doing a fast.
- Those suffering from any kidney or liver problems should not normally attempt any fast.
- Those suffering from anemia or low blood pressure may take up a juice fast with caution under supervision.
- Those who are under a terminal illness or have any chronic medical condition should always consult their doctor before taking up a juice fast/cleanse.