Yoga Mudrasana – The Psychic Union Pose
Yoga Mudrasana tones the spine, lower back and the abdomen. Yoga Mudrasana or the Psychic Union Pose is generally classified as an asana, even though the name suggests that it is a mudra. Yoga Mudrasana may be a little difficult for beginners, but when practiced can give great flexibility to the back and the hips.
Yoga Mudrasana is a forward bending asana and hence should be typically followed by a backward bending asana as a counter pose. Yoga Mudrasana should be done very carefully. Please do not strain the knees, hips, ankles or the back while performing this asana. Those suffering from severe hip and knee problems should avoid this asana.
How to do Yoga Mudrasana (Psychic Union Pose)?
- Sit in Padmasana, the lotus pose. You may use a little padding or cushion under the buttocks if needed to make it more comfortable.
- Close your eyes and breathe normally.
- Bring the hands behind the back and hold the left wrist with the right hand. (There is another variation for more advanced practitioners. In this variation, the hands are crossed over behind the back. The right hand grabs the right foot and the left hand grabs the left foot.)
- Slowly bend forward and try to touch the floor in front of you with the forehead or the nose. Breathe out while bending forward. If you cannot touch the floor, go as far as it is comfortable without any strain.
- In the final position, relax the whole body, especially the shoulders and the back.
- In the position, you may breathe deeply and slowly. Try to maintain the position for few minutes.
- Slowly return to the starting position. Inhale while returning to the staring pose.
- If you are not able to maintain the final position for long, then one may do the process few times.
Benefits of Yoga Mudrasana (Psychic Union Pose)
- Yoga Mudrasana brings flexibility to the back, spine and the hips.
- This asana tones all organs in the abdomen.
- It helps to relieve constipation and improves digestion.
- It activates the Manipuraka Chakra which helps to improve the general energy level of a person.