This pose is easy to do and tones the organs of the abdomen improving digestion.
How to do Hasta Uttanasana (Raised Arms pose)?
- Stand erect and raise both the hands above the head.
- Let there be shoulders length between the two arms.
- Bend the trunk and head backwards to create a slight curve.
- Raising the arms and bending the trunk backwards is done at the same time. Breathe in deeply while raising the arms.
When done as part of the Surya Namaskara (Sun Salutation exercises) a mantra can be chanted while performing this asana. Hasta Uttanasana is done as the 2nd pose and the 11th pose. The mantra to be chanted is given below:
During 2nd pose chant “Om Ravaye Namaha”. It means salutations to the shining one.
During 11th pose chant “Om Arkaya Namaha”. It means salutation to the one worthy of praise.
Benefits of Hasta Uttanasana (Raised Arms Pose)
- It improves digestion.
- It stretches and tones the muscles of the abdomen.
- It expands the chest and the rib cage resulting in full intake of oxygen. The lung capacity is fully utilised.