Prana Vayu Mudra is a hand mudra or gesture used for improving vitality and immunity. In Ayurveda, the thumb represents the fire element, the little finger the water element and the ring finger the earth element. Prana Vayu mudra brings together these three elements, which is said to give therapeutic benefits.
Prana Vayu is the main energy among the Pancha Prana or the five Pranas. All organs of the thorax including heart and lungs are maintained by Prana Vayu. The basic function of respiration and pumping of heart is controlled by Prana Vayu.
Prana Vayu Mudra is aimed at improving the function of Prana Vayu and its associated organs and its physiology. It is easy to practice and can be practiced any time of the day.
How to do Prana Vayu Mudra?
- Sit in any comfortable seating posture. Meditation postures like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, Vajrasana, etc. are ideal for the practice of mudras. Sukhasana and Ardha Padmasana may also be used. It can also be done sitting on chair with spine straight or even in the standing pose, if you are not able to sit on the floor.
- In the sitting position, place the hands with palm pointing upwards on the thighs or the knees.
- Close your eyes and take few deep relaxed breaths with awareness on the breathing process.
- Bring your ring and small finger together and bend it over to touch your thumb. The middle and index fingers should be pointed straight. You can do it on both hands. This is the Prana Vayu hand mudra.
- Remain in this position for 15 to 30 minutes as per your convenience. Maintain your awareness on the energy flow in the body. Feel the changes that the mudra brings about in your system.
- To release the mudra, relax the fingers and open your eyes.
Benefits of Prana Vayu Mudra
- Prana Vayu Mudra increases the Prana or vital energy, thereby energising your body.
- It is good for chronic fatigue and debility.
- It is good for the eyes and improves vision.
- It improves functioning of the heart and lungs.
- It improves self-confidence, releases mental stress and reduces irritability.
- Prana Vayu Mudra improves blood circulation.
- Prana Vayu Mudra is used in Ayurveda and in yoga therapy to improve body immunity and promote self-healing.
- It can be used during recovery of any illness as we need an extra burst of energy to overcome our weakness.
- It is said to help with any vitamin deficiencies.
- Prana Vayu Mudra is also said to help with arthritis and reduces joint pain.