Samana Vayu Mudra is a hand mudra or gesture in yoga, used for improving digestion and assimilation. In Ayurveda, the thumb represents the fire element, the middle finger indicates space element and the index finger, the air element, ring finger indicates earth element and the little finger indicates water element. Samana Vayu mudra brings together these five elements, which is said to give therapeutic benefits.
Samana Vayu is primarily responsible for digestion, absorption and assimilation of food. It functions at the navel region and responsible for working of the organs involved in digestion like stomach, liver, small intestine, pancreas, etc. Disturbances in Samana Vayu can cause problems with the digestive system.
Samana Vayu Mudra is aimed at improving the function of Samana Vayu. It balances all the energies in the body is also referred to as the ‘balancing air’. It is easy to practice and can be practiced any time of the day.
How to do Samana Vayu Mudra?
- Sit in any comfortable seating posture. Meditation postures like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, Vajrasana, etc. are ideal for the practice of mudras. Sukhasana and Ardha Padmasana may also be used. It can also be done sitting on chair with spine straight or even in the standing pose, if you are not able to sit on the floor.
- In the sitting position, place the hands with palm pointing upwards on the thighs or the knees.
- Close your eyes and take few deep relaxed breaths with awareness on the breathing process.
- Bring your little, ring, index and middle finger together and bend it over to touch your thumb. All the fingers are touching together. You can do it on both hands. This is the Samana Vayu hand mudra.
- Remain in this position for 15 to 30 minutes as per your convenience. Maintain your awareness on the energy flow in the body. Feel the changes that the mudra brings about in your system.
- To release the mudra, relax the fingers and open your eyes.
Benefits of Samana Vayu Mudra
- Samana Vayu Mudra improves digestion.
- It balances the metabolism.
- It improves functioning of the liver.
- Samana Vayu Mudra removes loss of appetite.
- It balances the body energies and the Tri-Doshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) of the body.
- Samana Vayu mudra strengthens the body from inside and gives confidence of mind.
- It helps with all gastric troubles and hypertension.