Udana Vayu Mudra is a hand mudra or gesture used for improving speech, respiratory system and the thyroid. In Ayurveda, the thumb represents the fire element, the middle finger indicates space element and the index finger, the air element and the ring finger indicates earth element. Udana Vayu mudra brings together these four elements, which is said to give therapeutic benefits.
Udana Vayu is primarily responsible for speech, functioning of the thyroid gland, blood supply to brain and thinking process. It functions from head to neck region and also on the respiratory system. Disturbances in Udana Vayu can cause problems with voice, shortness of breath, depression, memory loss, intellectual disability, etc.
Udana Vayu Mudra is aimed at improving the function of Udana Vayu. It is easy to practice and can be practiced any time of the day.
How to do Udana Vayu Mudra?
- Sit in any comfortable seating posture. Meditation postures like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, Vajrasana, etc. are ideal for the practice of mudras. Sukhasana and Ardha Padmasana may also be used. It can also be done sitting on chair with spine straight or even in the standing pose, if you are not able to sit on the floor.
- In the sitting position, place the hands with palm pointing upwards on the thighs or the knees.
- Close your eyes and take few deep relaxed breaths with awareness on the breathing process.
- Bring your ring, index and middle finger together and bend it over to touch your thumb. The little finger should be pointed straight. You can do it on both hands. This is the Udana Vayu hand mudra.
- Remain in this position for 15 to 30 minutes as per your convenience. Maintain your awareness on the energy flow in the body. Feel the changes that the mudra brings about in your system.
- To release the mudra, relax the fingers and open your eyes.
Benefits of Udana Vayu Mudra
- Udana Vayu Mudra helps to regulate the blood flow to the brain and helps in effortless thinking, creativity and intellectual sharpness. It can improve memory.
- It improves the respiratory function and alleviate asthma by ensuring smooth breathing.
- Udana Vayu Mudra improves voice and speech control.
- It improves the functioning of thyroid and para thyroid glands.
- Udana Vayu mudra can improve the strength of the limbs.