Vyana Vayu Mudra is a hand mudra or gesture used for improving blood circulation and regulating blood pressure. In Ayurveda, the thumb represents the fire element, the middle finger indicates space element and the index finger, the air element. Vyana Vayu mudra brings together these three elements, which is said to give therapeutic benefits.
Vyana Vayu is primarily responsible for circulation of blood in the entire body. It is responsible for distributing oxygen and nutrition to all the cells in the body through the circulatory system. Disturbances in Vyana Vayu can cause blood pressure problems.
Vyana Vayu Mudra is aimed at improving the function of Vyana Vayu, namely the blood circulation. It is easy to practice and can be practiced any time of the day.
How to do Vyana Vayu Mudra?
- Sit in any comfortable seating posture. Meditation postures like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, Vajrasana, etc. are ideal for the practice of mudras. Sukhasana and Ardha Padmasana may also be used. It can also be done sitting on chair with spine straight or even in the standing pose, if you are not able to sit on the floor.
- In the sitting position, place the hands with palm pointing upwards on the thighs or the knees.
- Close your eyes and take few deep relaxed breaths with awareness on the breathing process.
- Bring your index and middle finger together and bend it over to touch your thumb. The little and ring fingers should be pointed straight. You can do it on both hands. This is the Vyana Vayu hand mudra.
- Remain in this position for 15 to 30 minutes as per your convenience. Maintain your awareness on the energy flow in the body. Feel the changes that the mudra brings about in your system.
- To release the mudra, relax the fingers and open your eyes.
Benefits of Vyana Vayu Mudra
- Vyana Vayu Mudra helps to regulate the blood circulation. High as well as low blood pressure can be balanced using this mudra.
- It removes drowsiness and excessive sleep.
- Vyana Vayu Mudra can give better control of response to temperature. Those who cannot tolerate excessive heat can benefit from this mudra.
- It gives control over excessive thirst, sweating and urination.
- Vyana Vayu mudra can be used to control diarrhoea.