Vayu Mudra is a yogic hand mudra or gesture used for regulating the air element in the body. In Ayurveda, the thumb represents the fire element and the index finger indicates the air element. To do Vayu mudra, place the tip of index finger on the ball of the thumb and then place the thumb over the bent index finger firmly.
Vayu Mudra regulates the air element in the body. It relieves gas in the stomach, reduces body fat and improves digestion.
How to do Vayu Mudra – The Air regulating Yogic hand gesture?
- Sit in any comfortable seating posture. Meditation postures like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, Vajrasana, etc. are ideal for the practice of mudras. Sukhasana and Ardha Padmasana may also be used. If you are not able to sit on the floor, then do it sitting on chair with spine straight, or even in the standing pose . If you are doing it immediately after food, it is good to sit in Vajrasana as it improves digestion as well.
- In the sitting position, place the hands with palm pointing upwards on the thighs or the knees.
- Close your eyes and take few deep relaxed breaths with awareness on the breathing process.
- Bend your index finger over to touch below the base of the thumb on the palm. Now bend the thumb over the index finger and hold it firmly. You can do it on both hands. This is the Vayu hand mudra.
- Remain in this position for at least 5 minutes or as per your need and convenience. Maintain your awareness on the energy flow in the body. Feel the changes that the mudra brings about in your system.
- To release the mudra, relax the fingers and open your eyes.
Benefits of Vayu Mudra
- Vayu Mudra helps to relieve gas in the stomach and the intestines.
- It helps to relieve arthritis.
- Use this hand mudra for knee and other joint pains.
- It is good for sciatica and neck pain.
- It can calm the nerves and good for Parkinson’s disease and paralysis.
- Vayu Mudra relieves all illnesses associated with Vata dosha according to Ayurveda, as it regulates the air element in the body.
- It relieves pain in the spine and pain associated with cervical spondylitis.
- Vayu mudra can be used, along with sitting in Vajrasana, immediately after meals to improve digestion and relieve gas.