Pushan Mudra is a yogic hand mudra or gesture used for improving digestion and nourishment. According to Ayurveda, the thumb represents the fire element, the index finger indicates the air element, the middle finger indicates space element and the ring finger, the earth element. In Pushan mudra, the hand gesture is different for the two hands. In the right hand use the Apana Vayu mudra and for the left hand use the Prana Vayu Mudra. Together they form the Pushan Mudra.
Pushan is also one of the names of the Sun God. The Sun nourishes all the creatures living on earth. Pushan Mudra literally means the Mudra or gesture of Nourishment.
How to do Pushan Mudra – The Mudra for Digestion and Nourishment?
- Sit in any comfortable seating posture. Meditation postures like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, Vajrasana, etc. are ideal for the practice of mudras. Sukhasana and Ardha Padmasana may also be used. If you are not able to sit on the floor, then do it sitting on chair with the spine straight, or even in the standing pose. If you are doing it immediately after food, it is good to sit in Vajrasana as it improves digestion as well.
- In the sitting position, place the hands with palm pointing upwards on the thighs or the knees.
- Close your eyes and take few deep relaxed breaths with awareness on the breathing process.
- For the Right Hand: Bend your index finger and middle finger over to touch the tip of the thumb. The little and ring finger remain extended and straight.
- For the Left Hand: Bend your ring finger and middle finger over to touch the tip of the thumb. The little and index finger remain extended and straight.
- Both these together form the Pushan Mudra or the mudra to improve digestion and nourishment.
- Remain in this position for 5 minutes or more, as per your need and convenience. Maintain your awareness on the energy flow in the body. Feel the changes that the mudra brings about in your system.
- To release the mudra, relax the fingers and open your eyes.
Here are the benefits of doing Pushan Mudra.
Benefits of Pushan Mudra
- Pushan Mudra improves the functioning of the digestive system.
- It is good for liver, stomach and spleen.
- Pushan mudra can be also done sitting in Vajrasana, immediately after meals to improve digestion and assimilation of digested food.
- It can relieve nausea during motion sickness.
- It helps to detoxify the body.